April 2019: After moving to its new home here, the Software Architecture Documentation wiki is under reconstruction. Temporarily, it contains some broken links, missing content, images that are too small to read, and other errors. Rebuilding is in progress!
- Adventure Builder - Software Architecture Document (complete example of a software architecture document created as a companion to Documenting Software Architectures: Views and Beyond, Second Edition--a printed version or PDF version of the book can be purchased here)
- Template for a view (based on Documenting Software Architectures: Views and Beyond, Second Edition)
- Template for interface documentation (based on Documenting Software Architectures: Views and Beyond, Second Edition)
- Old content:
- The Java Pet Store SAD (created in 2005)
- Software Architecture Documentation Template (created in 2005 based on 1st edition of the DSA book)
About This Wiki
The wiki contains templates for wiki-based software architecture documentation, the documentation of the architecture of the Adventure Builder application and the Java Pet Store v1.4 application, and reflections.
Please see the disclaimers page.
This wiki was initially developed in the context of an Independent Study course of the Masters of Software Engineering program at Carnegie Mellon. The original goals of this academic exercise were:
- provide a simple yet complete example of software architecture documentation following a standard organization and best practices to aid in learning software architecture concepts;
- evaluate how well different architectural views and notations can describe at the architectural level a software system that is already implemented;
- evaluate how can UML be used to represent different architectural views;
- evaluate pros and cons of using a wiki as the repository for architecture documentation.